Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Event #13 preview

Event #13 is $320 6-handed pot limit hold'em. In this torunament instead of having 9 (or 10) players at a full table, there are only 6. Also instead of being played no limit, this event will be played pot limit.

If I had to choose any WCOOP event to put all my money on, it would be this one. As I mentioned in a previous post I seem to do slightly better with pot limit than I do with no limit. More importantly I feel I have a strong advantage playing short handed. While most players spend almost their entire poker lives playing against 8 or 9 other players I've made my living playing against 4 or 5 players. This goes all the way back to when I was a prop player at The Oaks Club and my job was to keep short handed games from breaking up. Perhaps more significantly, when playing single table tournaments, as players are eliminated you get to play against fewer and fewer opponenets. As a result, I have many practiced and proven strategies for playing against 4 or 5 players. Another thing that helps is I've played about 15,000 hands of 6 handed NL cash games in the past 6 weeks.

Taking out those three extra players means a whole new range of starting cards become playable. More hands are taken to the flop, and there's more room for creativity. Some of you might remember that in the 6-handed event at the WSOP I took my starting stack of 2,500 chips up to over 10,000, before losing AJ to A4 and then QQ to AQ.

Of course anything can happen and I might find myself broke and scratching my head on the first hand, but I like my chances in this one. I'll let you know how it went down.

No comments:

My WSOP 2023 Plans and Missions

After four and a half years working for StubHub I wrapped up my time there in March. I've been at the poker tables 3-4 days a week since...