Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Welcome Home! Here's a Kick in the Nuts!

Jen and I spent Friday through Monday in Mexico City for our friend Matt's Wedding. It was the most insane wedding that I've ever been too. You can read all about it in out family blog at http://www.thehuffs.wordpress.com/ (I'll get that post up today or tomorrow).

Today I got back to work with plans to kick ass through the end of March and into April. Unfortunately I had a terrible morning. I dropped about $800 in 3 hours over the course of 40 SNGs. At one point I had a streak of 19 straight tournaments out of the money! (my second longest streak ever). It felt like a kick in the nuts.

I had lunch and I thought "Maybe I should shift gears for a while." I decided to play 1000 hands of no limit cash games and see what happened. I jumped into six $1/$2 blinds ($200 buy-in) games. A few hours later after 1100 hands I cashed out up $500 for the afternoon and had my loss for the day down to a manageable amount. Everyone loses from time to time, but one of the keys to professional poker is not taking HUGE losses.

I can't quite recall why I haven't given the NL cash games another serious go. Last year I had my second and third best month ever playing these type of games. Of course, I followed those up with my worst month ever, but I think that was because I moved up limits too far too fast. I'm planning on playing 7500 hands in the next two days and hoping to make at least 10 cents a hand. I'll attempt to let you know what happens (the last time I promised to tell you what happened was my last post - the short version is the Sunday tournaments did not go well, sorry Matt).

In other news, my articles are up and you can read them at:
http://www.cardschat.com/poker-tells-advantage.php
http://www.cardschat.com/false-poker-tells.php

Some of you will notice the story in the second one (as well as a few other snippets) ripped off directly from this blog. I'll let you know when further writings of mine appear anywhere on the web.

2 comments:

Jennifer Fleming said...

I just read your poker articles - they were great! I plan to spout off MY favorite muffin recipe the next time I'm trying to give a false tell - ha ha!

You're definitely a talented writer, and I've enjoyed reading all you've had to offer, from the blogs to these articles. Keep up the good work. (Are you impressed that I restrained myself from making a wise ass remark here? It was difficult, especially after the pregnancy stupids business. Ahem.)

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you had anything about live poker tells on your blog. I wrote a blog post about some tells but would like to know more. Feel free to add a comment to my post. How to Spot a Poker Tell thanks

My WSOP 2023 Plans and Missions

After four and a half years working for StubHub I wrapped up my time there in March. I've been at the poker tables 3-4 days a week since...