Sunday, July 13, 2008

144th Place for Matt

Sorry it took me 24 hours after I got the news to put up this post. Matt went broke about 4 hours into play on Saturday. Here is what he had to say is his last e-mail.


Hi all,

As a lot of you know from following online, I got eliminated in 144th place. That was worth about $41,800. I'm a tad disappointed, but certainly happy overall. I have notes from the entire tournament, and over the course of the next week, I'll type them up and send them out, so that anyone who is interested in hearing how the tournament went can read about it.

In my final hand, with the blinds at 8K-16K, the button made it 35K. It was folded to me in the BB, and I pushed all-in for about 250K with pocket tens. He thought for a while and called with K-J and flopped a jack, and bing bang boom, that was it.

I just got word that he is either the chip leader or among the chip leaders, which is friggin scary since he was really not a good player. He had all his chips at risk with J-J against A-A, in a situation where it was obvious that his opponent had pocket jacks beat. But he ends up flopping a set of jacks and turning quad jacks, so I guess that is how you get the chip lead at the World Series. That, and calling 250K with king-high. :-) Que lastima.

Everyone in Vegas has their money already. I will see all you California people over the course of the next week to make sure you get your shares.

Thanks for all of the support. And hey, let's do this again sometime! :-)

Regards,
Matt

Good work Matt! I have to say that the money I made on the tournament was the easiest money I've ever made. 10% of $41,800 is of course $4,180, but I actually ended up making more than that!

On Saturday morning my good friend Jake e-mailed me and said he wanted more of Matt's action than the 1% he had. He wanted to know if I'd be willing to sell a little of the action that I had. So I sent him the following e-mail:

I have an offer for you and here is how I came up with it. The total prize pool at this years main event was $64,333,600. So far they've paid out $13,527,307 leaving
$50,806,293 left up for grabs.


There are a total of 136,880,000 chips in play and matt has 308,000 which is .225%. .225% of $50,806,293 is $114,314. So 1% is worth about $1,143 but I'll sell you 1% for the bargin price of $1,086 (which of course comes with a refund of $386 already built in). Let me know what you think.

Happily for me Jake decided he wanted 2% and while I was feeling conflicted about giving up a little bit of my piece of the pie, I thought it was just too good an opportunity to pass up. Sorry Jake!

Anyway congrats again to Matt!

No comments:

My WSOP 2023 Plans and Missions

After four and a half years working for StubHub I wrapped up my time there in March. I've been at the poker tables 3-4 days a week since...