Friday, July 25, 2008

Battle of the Planets!

Sounds dramatic doesn't it? Battle of the Planets is what Pokerstars calls their weekly SNG leader board. It really pisses me off that as soon as I stopped playing single table tournaments they created a leader board for them! Bastards!

This week as part of their 2X promotion Pokerstars doubled all the prizes on the Battle of the Planets. As a result I decided to take a little shot at the leader boards to see how I would do.

The leader boards are split into 8 buy in levels with the lowest being Mercury at $1-$3 and the highest being Jupiter at $300+. I decided to focus my attention the $50-$100 bracket (Uranus) and the $100-$300 bracket (Saturn).

You score points by finishing in the money in SNGs. For a standard 9 player SNG first place is 45 points, 2nd is 27 points and third is 18 points. There are two leader boards for each buy in bracket: one that looks at who scores the most points over blocks of 20 tournaments and another that looks at blocks of 100 tournaments. Only your first 5 blocks of 20 tournaments count for the first set and you can enter as many blocks of 100 as you want. Anyone who finishes in the top 15 on any leader board gets prize money and anyone who finishes in the top 10 in any leader board gets entry into a tournament with a $50,000 prize pool at the end of the month.

Since I didn't want to spend too much time on this I decided to play 100 $60 SNG's and 100 $114 SNGs. After completing my set of 100 $60 SNGs I'm currently in 9th on the 100 tournament leader board. With only 20 hours left in the week I'm hoping to stay in the top 10. Unfortunately 37th was the best I could manage on the 20 tournament board. (in case you're wondering I think it's 9th out of 70 and 37th out of over 1,000)

In the $114 tournaments I've only played 65, but it doesn't look too good for the 100 tournament leader board. I'm hoping I can bust out a nice block of 20 and get in that way.

I'm only looking at making $250 for 9th place in the $60 100 tournament race, but the prize pool in the monthly tournament has been doubled this month to $100,000 so I'm hoping to hang on to a top 10 spot for that.

I've had fun participating in the competition and I suspect I might take a few more shots at it in the future. Getting 1st on either leader board in the Uranus division is normally worth $1,000 and it's $1,200 for the Saturn division. I feel like if I gave it a good shot I could win it one of these weeks.

No comments:

My WSOP 2023 Plans and Missions

After four and a half years working for StubHub I wrapped up my time there in March. I've been at the poker tables 3-4 days a week since...