Thursday, July 31, 2008

Wasting time...sort of.

I've sort of been screwing around lately poker wise. While I've put in a few thousand hands of my normal 6 handed cash games in the past week, I've been spending most of my time playing tournaments.

This week I've been playing a mix of multitables and SNGs. I haven't managed any final tables, but I have finished in the top 20 in 3 tournaments with 500 entrants or more. Of course I can bring some pride and a few bucks away from those results, but it's mostly frustrating to be just short of winning a few grand for a final table appearance or a five digit first place payday.

After last weeks attempt to do well on the Battle of the Planets SNG leader board I realized I missed playing single table tournaments a little. So while I was mixing it up in the multitables I was also seeing if I could do anything in this weeks battle of the planets. After a strong start and then a small reversal in the $100+ division I wasn't able to book a big number of points in the "low orbit" leader board (which counts blocks of 20 tournaments) and after about 80 tournaments I gave up on scoring in the top 10 in the "high orbit" leaderboard (which measures blocks of 100 tournaments).

In the $50-$99 division I had some better success. I had one block of 20 tournaments where after 18 SNGs I had EIGHT first and two second place finishes (it's some serious shit for tournaments that start with 9 players to have that many top finishes). With two tournaments left to go I was in a spot where all I needed was one 3rd place finish to move into 3rd place on the low orbit leaderboard (it would have taken two firsts to move into first overall). Instead I got robbed. In BOTH of my remaining tournaments I was in first chip position with five players left. In one I lost 90% of my chips with TT to AK and in the other I lost KK to 44 in a very similar situation. I couldn't work any magic with my super short stacks and found myself stuck in 9th on the low orbit leader board. With a few days left in the week I don't think there's any way I can hang on to a top ten spot.

But I still have a shot a the high orbit leaderboard in the $50-$99 division. After 63tournaments I have 900 points (you get 45 for a 1st, 27 for a second and 18 for a third). I need over 1,400 to be in the top 5, over 1,500 to be in the top 3 and 1,693 to be in first if you look at the current standings. Right now I'm on pace to finish with 1,428 which I think would be good for somewhere in the 6th or 7th range once the week is over. But if I can close strong I have a shot at a top 2 or 3 spot. 1st pays $1,000, 2nd $700, 3rd $500 and every place in the top 15 pays something ($80 is the bottom prize).

To be honest this competition isn't really about the money. Of course that's nice and if there wasn't any money I wouldn't go for it. But mostly I want the thrill of victory! I can say for sure that in the long run I'd be better off dollar wise just playing my 6 handed cash games. But, I am a pretty damn good SNG player and I want to take down that $1,000 for first on one of these leaderboards!

I'm off on vacation to the east coast for the next week or so and while I expect to play a little, I don't expect to post about it unless something major happens.

Don't forget the WCOOP starts September 5th! This will be right about the time I clear my $6,000 milestone bonus so I'm going to go big!

No comments:

My WSOP 2023 Plans and Missions

After four and a half years working for StubHub I wrapped up my time there in March. I've been at the poker tables 3-4 days a week since...