Monday, August 18, 2008

Winning Leads to More Winning!

I played a ton of poker today. I managed 3,000 hands of 6 handed limit hold'em and played a dozen multitable tournaments. I won about $1,000 in the cash games, but I dropped $400 on one $55 with rebuys tournament and had a bunch of other duds in the morning. But I started 6 tournaments between 5 and 7 pm and had two cashes. The first cash wasn't super significant coming just into the money in a $109 NL tournament.

The second cash was much more interesting and came in a $109 HORSE tournament. We started with 56 players and since it only paid 6 spots the top 6 places looked very similar to those in the HORSE tournament I won the other day. More importantly the results were similar...I won again!

This time there wasn't nearly as much drama. I was in the middle of the pack when we made the final table playing Stud Hi-Lo, but once we switched to hold em I picked up a ton of chips with relentless raising. This tournament only had 12 minute limits so we switched games much more quickly. Two players went down in the hold 'em followed by three more in the Omaha. By the time we went to Razz, I had twice as many chips as my two remaining opponents combined. 10 quick hands later it was over.

First place paid $2,060! Apparently I kick ass at HORSE! This $109 tournament goes off every day at 6:45 and I may have to start planning my schedule to play it more frequently!

1 comment:

Jennifer Fleming said...

Not to ask you to toot your own horn, but do you think your strength at HORSE is due to the fact that not many people are good at all the different types of games and able to switch back and forth between them? If so, could you make a name for yourself as Dave Huff, HORSE Champion? (That sounds like a taunt when I say it that way, and considering the source.....But it's actually a serious question.) Jenn

My WSOP 2023 Plans and Missions

After four and a half years working for StubHub I wrapped up my time there in March. I've been at the poker tables 3-4 days a week since...