Thursday, September 11, 2008

2008 WCOOP Event #14 ($320 Stud) Recap

I finished 425th out of 627 in today's stud tournament. My chip stack bounced around between 2,000 and 5,000 for the three hours that I lasted. I feel like I played well, I just ran into a bunch of full houses. I also had a slew of hands where going into the river I'd have one pair and so would my opponent, but I was always catching a brick while they were finding just enough to call my river bet.

In other news I started out really strong in the $162 second chance with rebuys and had more than twice average at the end of the rebuy period. Then I got involved in a few hands where I faced some tough decisions. In one my opponent either played a hand very weakly to induce a bluff or because he was really scared of going broke. Whatever it was it worked for him and I blew off about a third of my stack.

A while later I was down to about 7,000 chips from my peak of 17,000 when I called a small raise out of the big blind with 67 vs three opponents. The flop came down 865 giving me middle pair and a straight draw. This seemed like the perfect situation to use the good old check raise semibluff. I checked and the last player to act made a standard bet and I moved all in. He quickly called with TT and I missed. At the time the money went in I was 44% to win and if I'd hit I'd have been back to the good side of average.

No comments:

My WSOP 2023 Plans and Missions

After four and a half years working for StubHub I wrapped up my time there in March. I've been at the poker tables 3-4 days a week since...