Saturday, September 06, 2008

A turbulent few rounds

After my last post I immediately ran my stack up to 75,000 was in 5th place. Then I had an equally quick melt down. I started making a bunch of second best hands. If it was no limit I would have gone broke three times at least in the past two hours. One hand in particular that was interesting was with the limits at 1,200/2,400 I open raised with QQ and got three bet. I capped the betting at 4,800 and the flop came down KJT all spades. I had the queen of spades so we capped it again on the flop. The turn was a jack which given the fact that I thought my opponent had either AA, KK, JJ or TT meant I was probably in bad shape. The river brought no help and my opponent dragged the pot with KK.

A few hands later I lost another big pot with AK vs QQ. I flopped a flush draw and bet it hard. But I missed it and lost another big one.

Just after that I had KQ vs AJ. There was heavy raising preflop, one bet on the flop and when I turned a king I figured I had the best hand. But the river game my opponent a flush.

I lost a few more pots and all of a sudden I was down to about 15,000 wondering what the hell happened.

But then I had a big turn around. I raised under the gun with 88 ended up flopping a set and got so much action from top pair that I was actually all in. Happily I won and had myself back up to 30,000.

I chopped out a few small ones and got back to 40,000. Then I made another set and got up to 50,000. Two marginal hands that I raised hit top pair and after getting some action on both I now find myself with 75,000 chips. Right was I was before.

We're down to 124 and I'm in 21st.

Also I made the money in the $162 second chance and then quickly went broke. My finish in 26th of 144 paid $216 which is only a profit of $54. Not too exciting, but cashes are always good for morale!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

keep it up Dave! I'm having fun watching you kick butt!

My WSOP 2023 Plans and Missions

After four and a half years working for StubHub I wrapped up my time there in March. I've been at the poker tables 3-4 days a week since...